Sunday 3 January 2016

The sun came out!


So one day last week it actually stopped raining.  I know - a bloody miracle it would seem.  As luck would have it we'd arranged to meet with my brother and his fam in the truly beautiful village of Coln St Aldwyns.  We ate a huge lunch (it really was enormous) and then walked around the village nosing at all the cottages taking in the gorgeous scenery.  It was glorious.  I can't say I was feeling the most glamorous I ever have but a hardwearing parka and comfy wellies can never be underestimated.


I don't think it's necessary to spend huge amounts on coats especially not casual ones and as the sales are on, what better time to find your perfect parka without spending a fortune?  For a winter parka (as opposed to a thin, single skin summer one), aim for a good quality, water resistant fabric.  Mine is a heavy duty, waxed cotton.  A decent amount of padding/filling is a necessity for my cold bones and a detachable hood makes it more versatile.  A high rise neck and decent sized pockets are also a must.  I'd always buy a parka that hits to at least mid thigh as you're going to be wearing it all kinds of God awful weather (probably) so the more protection it gives, the better.  Finally, if you want your parka to have longevity, I'd say to buy in a neutral, classic colour: black, grey, charcoal, navy, olive, camel.  This parka is a couple of years old now, has given me sterling service and still looks brand new. 


Wellington boot-wise, my personal preference are Hunters, both for my daughters and myself.  They tick all the style, comfort amd quality boxes.  Unless you're 18 and planning to embark on a summer of festivals, I'd say avoid the pearlescent, candy coloured Hunters and go for a neutral colour.  (If you're 40 and planning to embark on a summer of festivals, that's no excuse - still go neutral....!)















olive parka - Zara / jeans - Topshop / oatmeal cashmere jumper - J Crew / beige cashmere pashmina - beach vendor in Tuscany / navy wellies - Hunter / oatmeal wrist warmers - Uniqlo / sunglasses - Karen Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment