Friday 12 February 2016

Work wear part 2


Mega soz for the lull in activity since the last blog.  Have been feeling generally a bit rubbish but onwards and upwards - let’s talk about work wear bottoms.
 

Mini skirts (I say mini, they hit around mid-thigh on me, we’re not talking bum skimming here, fear not) - now I know a “mini” won’t be for everyone but bear with…  I have a few wool mini skirts and they work so well with the aforementioned polo and crew necks and opaques in winter.  Go for ones with a very slight A-line shape (so much more flattering) and look for a heavier, woollier fabric.  If mid thigh is too short, try a skirt that hits just above the knee but keep that slight A-line shape.  I should say, for me, these are a winter only option as I’d only wear them with the safety net of opaques.  For those with longer/younger/generally nicer legs who can get away without tights, look for tailored, stiffer fabrics and perhaps a subtle ‘60s nod.  I love a bit of brocade on a mini skirt.  M&S do an excellent woolly version every year and Zara and Mango always have plenty of choice (just watch the length as some are rather short!)


black wool skirt - M&S
tweed skirt - J Crew
tweed mini skirt - M&S
pink mini skirt - Whistles
 

Midi skirts –  I LOVE midi skirts.  They’re so flattering, hide a multitude of sins and I adore that whole Dior “New Look” silhouette.  They can be pencil, gathered, pleated or A-line but make sure they’re midi and not knee length or even worse above the knee.  A proper midi should hit mid-calf although you can probably go a little shorter with a pencil skirt, say just under the knee.  I have lots of midi skirts, some plain some more statement-y.  I find that statement skirts (Wanky Fashion Term Klaxon -  sorry) work better in summer with a bare leg and the aforementioned grey teeshirt or white shirt.  My plainer, woollier ones, unsurprisingly, are more suited to winter and an opaque leg.  I always wear with a heel.  M&S, Whistles,  Zara, Warehouse and ASOS are all good starting places.  This one from H&M, modelled so perfectly by chloelovestoshop on Insta, is on my list.





floral skirt - H&M
lace skirt - H&M
grid lace skirt - Warehouse 
checked pencil skirt - Whistles


A final (important) note about skirts: ditch your bobbly, shiny, Nora Batty tributes and invest in some decent tights.  Tights made by brands such as Falke and Wolford are expensive but will last for years if you look after them.  Generally I don't really rate M&S tights (although my lovely friend and I did find a brilliant pair of cotton based ones last year that are slightly sheer and in no way shiny (The Actual Holy Grail of Opaques) - have we been able to buy more this year?  Of course we haven't.  Aaaaanyway...)  John Lewis have a great reasonably priced selection.



Trousers -  these are completely subjective as we’re all so very different as to what suits us.  Flared, tapered, straight, relaxed, peg, boot cut, cropped - Christ, it's almost as tiresome as buying jeans.  My personal preference is a slightly slouchy tapered leg as they're the most forgiving on my less than toned bottom half but get out there and try on as many different styles as you can.  Zara is a good place to start.  Sit, bend and walk in them to see how they feel.  A classic straight cut will always look stylish whereas I find flared or bootcuts have far too many late ‘90s poly trouser suit connotations and so I avoid these like the proverbial plague.  I don’t wear trousers to work that often so only have a couple of pairs but black is always going to be a winner.  I think with lighter fabrics you have to be reeeeeeeally careful that you’re not flashing the outline of your knickers/less than perfect backside to the world (although, of course, I always keep an eye out for that so far elusive perfectly cut, slightly relaxed grey pair).  



Richmond cigarette trouser - Boden (Boden also do their bestselling Bistro style which are very similar to these)
pleated cropped trouser - Zara


Next time, my favourites - DRESSES!




No comments:

Post a Comment